“Saint Nikola” church
the Daskalolinitsa is “Saint Nikola” Church, the oldest in the town of Elena.
From a correspondence on an old psalm-book, given to the church from a man
called Pera in 1518, it is understood that in the beginning of XVI century the
church has already existed. Legends say that there were a lot of parchment
manuscripts. There was a priest appointed to keep the manuscripts and give them
to the population to be read. On 23rd of April 1800, on Saint George’s day, the
town of Elena was attacked by kardzhalii and the “Saint Nikola” church was burnt
down. A considerable part of the old books were burnt. The church was rebuilt in
1804 by the population of the town with the money of the rich citizens. It was
rebuilt for forty days without the permission of the Turkish authorities.
From the outside its architecture is modest and simple on the purpose not to
irritate the oppressors. Inside the church is in accordance with the traditional
orthodox style grasping the church being a mirror of the human’s soul.
“Saint Nikola” church was painted by the famous in the old days icon – painters
David and Yakov, born in Dolni Bolertsi neighbourhood. They finished the
decoration of the church between 1817 and 1818. They were helped by the Elena`s
icon-painters Yoan Popovich and Yordan Mihov Klimentski. The frescoes are highly
valued and considered monuments of the culture with national importance. On the
right hand side near the altar was built a slab-stone with an inscription made
by Doyno Gramatik, stating the date it was built and the names of the
church-donors. The wooden iconoclast and the bishop`s stall are to be of great
In 1966 the church construction was strengthened. During the restoration of the
wall-paintings above the north door a second slab-stone was found. On it was the
raised face of Patron Saint of the “Saint Nikola” church.
If you want to learn more about
Elena's churches read the
history of Elena.