The Clock Tower
remarkable and original monument of culture in Elena, with national importance,
is the clock tower. The place was chosen so that it could be seen and heard from
every point of the town. The Clock Tower, the tip of the “Holy Assumption
Church,” and the Bell Tower are vertically aligned.
Build in the year of 1812, by an unknown builder from Elena. In the prayer book
of the Priest Hristo Kurshov is mentioned, “…To be known when it was built in
1812, the bell was fixed on Inov Den (Midsummer Day).” The mechanism and bell
which are inside the Clock Tower were bought from Patron Faisi aga. The bell was
infused in the town of Gabrovo, as evident by the inscription on the bell. The
tower was thoroughly re-built in 1857 or 1858 by a famous Elena builder Tsoncho
Ustabashi, was stabilized in 1953 and completely restored in 1987.
The tower consists from three parts, which are harmoniously coordinated. The
base of the tower is made of stone and is square shaped, with a height of 12,5
meters with elucidated loop-holes. The middle part is an eight-sided prism with
plastered walls, painted and whitewashed, covered with copper lament. The
mechanism of the clock is inside the prism. The top part is a square with light
weight wood construction and it is open from all sides and angles. Inside hangs
the bell. The roof is cone-shaped, trimmed with copper lament and has a tall
point with four lead balls.