house is one the most distinct houses in Elena. It is built in the first half of
the 19th century around the year of 1830. In the first years after the
liberation the technical service of the town was located here, that is why it is
also known as “The Old Engineering House.” The building is three stores with a
ground floor and two additional floors. The ground floor had two workshops with
stone walls; the floors above it were residential. Today the house is a
historical building of the culture with national importance.
After the completion of restoration, the Popnikolov’s House was given to the
Sofia University “Saint Kliment Ohridski” to be used as an educational center.
At the moment the ground floor of the house is used as a paleontology museum for
the needs of the students.
the museum there is a collection of materials from academic professor Dr. Todor
Nikolov, senior research associate Stoicho Breskovski and senior research
associate Kristalina Stoikova. Part of the materials were found around the town
of Elena and were collected by students from the department of geology and
paleontology of the Sofia University “Saint Kliment Ohridski,” during their
summer course for paleontology which were conducted on the basis of the Sofia
University in the town of Elena.
For more information go to the following website address